Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Starting Point

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

I got an e-mail from my racquetball coach tonight saying that class was canceled tomorrow due to a death in the family. My prayers are with his family, but I know that means that I won't be pushing my body through the fourth round of our single player ladder tournament. [In a ladder tournament, you move up a court if you win, down if you lose; the highest court is the challenge court, the lowest court has been dubbed "Siberia" - definitely want to stay out of that one.] I've recently set some fitness goals for myself, including running a 10 minute mile. When better to get a read on your cardiovascular health then after a veggie burger, fries and two Shirley Temples?! (Forgive me, it's Sunday.) Anyway, the result? 11:31, and I KNOW I can do better! I did a 5 minute warm up, and ran for another 15 minutes afterward at a 3 mph pace.

Thoroughly pumped, and listening to some of the kickin' tunes Anna put on my I-pod, I came back to my apartment, grabbed my garbage and recycling to take down. I sorted to the beat, and started to run back. Two steps in, I turned my ankle and ate concrete, which was almost as delicious as that Shirley Temple.

Gotta love it.

P.S. HI MOM!!

2 comments:

  1. Katherine, I love your writing style. Honest. This is beautifully written - I don't think I could make my daily lack-of-exercise worth spitting at, much less as enjoyable as this!

    In short, you rule. As everyone already knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you! And only you could make even a basic aspect of daily life like a toilet in Japan exciting!

    ReplyDelete